CanTeach has a web page loaded with journaling and writing prompts for children. Perfect for elementary or junior high students, some prompts are fun and playful, while others are more provocative and will cause your child to think about important issues or topics. (Use discretion when assigning prompts, because not all topics may be appropriate for your family.)
All Sorts of Prompts
CanTeach divides their prompts into 13 categories.
- What is . . .
- What if . . .
- What do you think . . .
- What . . . misc.
- How . . .
- I wish . . .
- Describe . . .
- When . . .
- Which . . .
- Who . . .
- Where . . .
- Why . . .
- Misc . . .
Ideas to Get You Started
Visit the CanTeach website—there are dozens more where these came from!
- What is something you do well?
- What is your favourite room in your home and why?
- What would happen if you could fly whenever you wanted? When would you use this ability?
- What would happen if there were no television? Why would this be good? bad?
- What if cows gave root beer instead of milk?
- What do you think of someone who has bad manners?
- What do you think courage means?
- What do we mean when we say, “You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”?
- What are you afraid of? Why?
- How would you change the world to make it better?
- Explain how to play your favorite game.
- I wish I could be like ____. This person is special because . . .
- I wish I could learn ____ because . . .
- When are you happiest?
- When have you felt lonely?
- Which quality best describes your life—exciting, organized, or dull? Why?
- Which quality do you dislike most about yourself—laziness, selfishness, or childishness? Why?
- Who or what has had a strong influence in your life?
- Why is it important to be honest?
- Why do you think the rules you must follow are good or bad?
- Families are important because . . .
- Would you like to be famous? Why or why not? What would you like to be famous for?
For many other exciting ideas, check out our weekly Writing and Journal Prompts!