pun (n.) A clever play on words that brings about a double meaning or a comedic effect. “I do it for the pun of it.”
. . . . .
SOMETIMES I just need a laugh. Don’t you?
Well, you happen to be in luck! If you’ve followed my blog for any length of time, you know that one of my favorite topics is words and the ways we can use them in our writing.
But words, whether spoken or written, can be just for fun, too! Fortunately for all of us, someone sent me a list of clever puns recently. I hope they tickle your funny bone and add a smile to your day!
- What do you call a dinosaur with a extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.
- I used to think I was indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
- England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.
- I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.
- I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.
- All the toilets in New York’s police stations have been stolen. Police have nothing to go on.
- I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.
- Velcro – what a rip off!
- There was an earthquake in Washington, D.C. It was obviously the government’s fault.
- Be kind to your dentist. He has fillings, too.
Got a clean pun you’d like to share? Post it in a comment!