by Jennifer Johnson Garrity
FAMILY FICTION 2006, BrimWood Press; ISBN 978-0-977074-1-1
Did you know historical fiction is growing on your family tree?
Every young writer of historical fiction has plenty of inspiration just waiting to be plucked from his or her family tree. Family Fiction (formerly Family Tree) enables students to harvest this vast crop by producing short (or long!) stories that are not only thoroughly researched and well-written, but heirlooms to be treasured by your family for generations to come.
Presented in three phases—Research, Writing, and Editing—this workbook guides both student and instructor through the process of gathering historical information, weaving fact and fiction together to create a plot, and then refining both content and style to fashion a unique and exciting work of fiction. The guide is self directed for the high school or gifted writer, while providing an instructor’s guide, detailed schedule with extra tips and suggestions for home educators working with younger or reluctant writers.
WriteShop-friendly checklists and a grading guide are included. Family Fiction’s workbook design is consumable, but permission is granted for the purchasing family to make copies for multiple children and for multiple projects. Due to the vigor of the research phase, students will find a bountiful supply of family tales just waiting for pen and ink. Build a collection of family stories by reusing the product every two years.
- Family Fiction is recommended for ages 10 and up.
- Family Fiction is a supplement to your current writing curriculum. Its primary focus is developing content and providing techniques for maturing a student’s writing style. It assumes that the student is comfortable with the basics of sentence and paragraph construction.
- Family Fiction leads students through each step of the research, writing, and editing process. It is ideal for students who have completed WriteShop I or II.
- Completing a creative writing project will vary anywhere from 4-10 weeks.
- Family Fict is an invaluable resource for Boy Scouts as there are three merit badges that relate to this topic.
- 8-1/2” x 11”. Laminated for durability. 76 pp.
- Parent educators have permission to reproduce workbook pages for family use ONLY.
See sample pages from Family Fiction
Read a review by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine!