By Lisa Bullard
Illustrated by Deborah Haley Melmon
You Can Write a Story!, Two-Can Children's Books, 2007
Cooking up stories can be more fun than making cookies! This easy-to-follow story-writing recipe takes your child step-by-step through the creative process. Children will
- Learn how to mix story ingredients like characters, settings, and action.
- Stir them up to create conflict.
- Cook up a beginning, a middle, and an ending.
- Create stories that are a feast for the imagination!
It’s a recipe that can be used again and again!
“Bullard takes a clever approach to teaching children the basic steps in story composition by treating the process as a cooking exercise. She begins with the “basic ingredients" of character, setting, and action, and then takes readers through the various ways they can add “flavorings" to their stories, including “spicy settings," “tempting titles," and the all-important “taste test" (revising)... Budding authors will enjoy this book [all] on their own.” –Grace Oliff, School Library Journal
“Step-by-step instructions, and an example story seen through to completion form the heart of this creative guide, enthusiastically recommended for elementary [students].” –Midwest Book Review
- Ages 8-11
- Friendly, engaging instructions are written directly to the child.
- Cheerful, full-color illustrations.
- Lots of helpful tips.
- Takes the child through the steps of the writing process, from brainstorming to final draft.
- Contains a sample story.
- Non-consumable format.
- 9.5” x 11”. Durable hardcover spiral bound lies flat for ease of use.