by Nancy I. Sanders
WriteShop Primary Book B introduces the steps of the writing process through engaging activities, crafts, and picture books and creates an environment that promotes a joy of learning. The program accommodates pre-writers as well as beginning and developing writers.
Recommended Grade Levels
- Ideal for students in first and second grade.
- May also be used with reluctant third graders.
If your child is reluctant or not able to write on his own, you’re encouraged to let him dictate his stories to you. As his skills develop, he will learn to help more and more with the actual writing. For a more advanced child, extra challenges appear throughout each lesson to promote stronger writing habits.
- Soft-cover book with plastic-coil binding. Lies flat for ease of use.
- 214 pages
- Purchase the reproducible Activity Set Worksheet Pack separately for only $4.95.
For more information, see:
Book B sample lesson
Help with choosing a starting level
Activity Set Worksheet sample
“My daughter went from painfully writing 3-5 sentences to writing whole stories complete with beginning, middle, and ending. WriteShop Primary Book B even helped me not to be scared of writing.” --Andrea, CA
"Spelling improved. CONFIDENCE was a huge improvement. I had been dealing with the dreaded ‘I can’t’ and this program has helped them see ‘I CAN’! … A fantastic experience!" --Cheryl, ON
"The best part is that we hardly noticed that we were learning together while we were busy throwing paper slices of pepperoni or writing parts of a story on a make-believe ‘story bucket.’" –Julia, CA
By the end of Book B, your child will have learned to plan, create, and publish simple stories with parent help. He or she will:
- Use graphic organizers to plan a story.
- Include a beginning, a middle, and an end.
- Identify the main character in a story.
- Learn to add story details.
- Organize a story to include a problem and its solution.
- Write a friendly letter.
- Write a personal narrative.
- Retell nursery rhymes and fairy tales in their own words.
- “Publish” stories through projects or crafts.
Other skills introduced in Book B include:
- Concept of paragraph form and indentation.
- Standard spelling and using spelling tools
- Identifying the parts of a friendly letter.
- Identifying words that rhyme.
- Using a different voice to tell a story.
- Using a dictionary to help improve writing and spelling.
- Choosing story endings.
This is the Print Version. Please click here if you would prefer to purchase an E-book rather than a physical copy.
WriteShop Primary Scope and Sequence
Choosing Picture Books
Other WriteShop Primary Products
E-book (PDF) Versions
- Teacher's Guide (ebook)
- Teacher's Guide (ebook)